Readers Respond to DocumentsTalk.com

I advise anyone interested in finding out what is fact and what is fantasy in the shadow world of spying before and during World War II to read it carefully.Susan Butler

I have just examined your website and am lost in wonder at the scope and extent of your researches…. The sheer effort is mind-boggling.

What a pity that your interest is centered in the US. Had it been the UK, you would have resolved all the riddles that bother me!Harry Chapman Pincher

The historical research of Svetlana Chervonnaya is a brilliant example of investigative journalism of the highest class.Yury Totrov

Recent Comments

1. Leszek Kobiernicki, January 6th, 2017, 8:08 am

What a useful site ! It really opens the doors, a good deal wider, to a more detailed, exhaustive grasp, of the private deliberations, of elite groups, constituting Red Russia. Is there any material, available, to you, on the activities, of Polish intelligence, in the SU, pre-WW2 ? This is my chosen period, as things, become over-complex, once full-scale planetary conflict, is unloosed, on all. You have accomplished a very signal service, for honest and unprejudiced inquirers. Bravo , dear Lady !

2. Susan Butler, October 28th, 2009, 1:26 pm

It’s funny about smoking guns. Usually the people who talk about finding one have been on the hunt for a long, long time. Whether it is Alexander Vassiliev and John Earl Haynes and Harvey Klehr, after countless books and articles thinking they have nailed Alger Hiss as an authentic spy, or Ric Gillespie, after eight trips to a South Pacific island thinking he has found artifacts belonging to Amelia Earhart, the mindset is the same: many years of hunches and many years of work leading to a belief the grail is there…just a bit out of reach of their fingers. They don’t give up, but that doesn’t make their findings true.

Documentstalk punctures many myths. I advise anyone interested in finding out what is fact and what is fantasy in the shadow world of spying before and during World War II to read it carefully.

(The writer is author of “East to the Dawn: The Life of Amelia Earhart” (1997); “My Dear Mr. Stalin: The Complete Correspondence of Franklin D. Roosevelt and Joseph Stalin” (2005))

3. Alexander Kolpakidi, October 27th, 2009, 1:25 pm

It’s time to clear away the rubble of the Cold War and deal with the myths 60 years in the making about Russian-American relations. These myths, surprisingly, are very much alive both in Russia and in the USA as well. The only Russian I know who has been moving to demolish the myths is Svetlana Chervonnaya; unfortunately for us Russians, she is doing it in English.

(The writer is author and/or editor of “The Empire of the GRU” (1999); “The Encyclopedia of the Military Intelligence of Russia; The Encyclopedia of the Foreign Intelligence of the USSR”; and many other volumes)

4. James M. Boughton, September 24th, 2009, 1:25 pm

I’ve just had a quick look at your new website so far, but it’s clear that you’ve done a terrific job of pulling together and explaining this very complex material.

(The writer is Historian of the International Monetary Fund and author of “The IMF and the Force of History: Ten Events and Ten Ideas That Have Shaped the Institution”; “The Case Against Harry Dexter White: Still Not Proven,” and many other volumes)

5. Harry Chapman Pincher, September 20th, 2009, 1:24 pm

I have just examined your website and am lost in wonder at the scope and extent of your researches. I had not fully realized how privileged I am to know you and be in contact with you. The sheer effort is mind-boggling. What a pity that your interest is centered in the US. Had it been the UK, you would have resolved all the riddles that bother me!

Keep it all going. It is marvelous source of information – all those biographies, etc.!

(The writer is the author of “Treachery: Betrayals, Blunders, and Cover- ups: Six Decades of Espionage Against America and Great Britain” (2009); “Too Secret, Too Long” (1984); “Their Trade Is Treachery” (1981); and many other volumes)

6. Gene Arthur Coyle, August 11th, 2009, 12:41 pm

I took a quick look at your website and found it fascinating. It will require time to carefully read through all the segments. I’m glad that you have undertaken such an effort (and in English!). It is always good to get both Russian and American perspectives on such emotionally charged history.

(The writer is an adjunct professor, Indiana University, teaching intelligence history after a career at the CIA)

7. Amy Knight, April 22nd, 2009, 12:39 pm

Writing to tell you how impressed I am by your new website. It is fabulous and a welcome contribution to espionage scholarship. BRAVO!

(The writer is the author of “How The Cold War Began: The Igor Gouzenko Affair and the Hunt for Soviet Spies” (2005))

8. Alexander Sokolov, April 21st, 2009, 12:39 pm

You are the only Russian analyst, researcher and scholar who for a long time has been exploring the periods in history which are so difficult for most of the experts in the field to understand, not to mention the intelligence operatives from different decades. As for me, I do not know anyone like you.

(The writer is a retired Colonel, KGB Foreign Intelligence)

9. Yury Totrov, April 3rd, 2009, 12:38 pm

If asked whom I’d recommend for the position of the chief of the History Department, organized at the SVR or the GRU, I’d recommend Svetlana Chervonnaya. The historical research of Svetlana Chervonnaya is a brilliant example of investigative journalism of the highest class. If the Russian Investigative Committee, the federal criminal investigation system launched by President Putin to pursue Russia’s most serious crimes, had investigators-analysts like Svetlana Chervonnaya, the number of unsolved organized assassinations would fall dramatically.

(The writer is a retired Colonel, KGB Foreign Intelligence)

10. Lewis Hartshorn, April 2nd, 2009, 12:37 pm

Wonderful news! I’m looking at it now and will surely spend many fascinating hours reading it. Your approach is beyond reproach and very honest and realistic. … As we all know, perfect objectivity isn’t obtainable, and if it was it would be too long to read, but we can’t suppress the important findings of our research because it doesn’t fit our beliefs or point of view.

(The writer is the author of a forthcoming book on the Hiss case)

Have a comment? Submit it here: