Well-known abbreviation for the name of the Soviet information-propaganda agency at the Soviet Commissariat of Foreign Affairs, or Narcomat, from 1941-1946. Its full name was Sovetskoe informatsionnoe buro (Soviet Informational Bureau.) The agency operated under the direct political oversight of the Central Committee of the VCP (b). It was established on June 24, 1941, two days after the Nazi attack against the Soviet Union. Its mandate was to compile “svodkas” (reports) on the situation at the fronts, developments in the rear and guerilla movements during World War II. In 1961, the Sovinformburo was succeeded by APN (Agency Press “Novosti”).